Repping Beantown.com

Salt N Peppa Essence Interview

published by Angella at 10/20/2007 06:17:00 PM

2007-10-20

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Y'all know that super female combo group Salt N' Peppa is back in the limemight now. With their new show and everything. Essence has recently conducted an interview the girls. Where they speak on how it feels to be re-united again, Salt's battle with bulimia and so much more. Read the interview after the cut.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Essence.com: Ohmigoodness! So to whom do we owe thanks for making this reunion happen? Cheryl ‘Salt’ Wray: Pepa. I was like, ‘Why don’t you just let Salt-N-Pepa die?’ Sandi ‘Pepa’ Denton: (Laughs) And I was like, ‘Hell naw! I ain’t never gonna let it die!’ Essence.com: Long live S-N-P, baby! So Salt, Pepa strong armed you, huh? Salt: (Laughs) She called me one day and asked, ‘Can we do a sitcom?’ I’m thinking, No, I’m married, I’m in love with my husband, I’m in love with my children. I have a normal life. You have to understand I’ve been doing this since I was 18 years old and I just wanted some normalcy. My challenge now is how am I going to do this and still maintain that normalcy? It’s hard because you’re part of a duo, but you’re trying to do what’s best for you and your family, but eventually I came around. We pitched a sitcom idea, which was very Laverne & Shirley and based on our lives and we were presented with the idea of a reality show. I was like, “No way, I’m much too private.” But when I realized we could have some sort of control then I was cool with it. Essence.com: Now that you’ve reunited, has it been difficult getting reacquainted? Pepa: It feels different, but we are still working through it day by day. For so long, I felt bitter and I still get nervous like, Will she bail on me again? I came into this business at such a young age and was dealing with personal issues throughout the years so I ran to Salt and the business to escape them because they were my link to sanity. Salt: Awww. The more we talk about this stuff and the more I hear, it’s like food for my soul. For me, it’s like two Black girls from the ghetto who don’t necessarily have the best communication skills. I think when Sandy and I communicated we felt that we were being attacked and had to defend ourselves like, You ain’t gonna play me. Essence.com: Do you think the tension between you two was too much? Pepa: The players we had around us were more of a divide-and-conquer team and I fell into it. I lashed out on Salt even though I knew what they were doing. I never expressed it to her because I never thought it would ever come to our separation. But they made me mad at the situation and I took it out on Salt. Essence.com: Yeah, it’s kinda like the insecure woman who discovers her man is creeping but wants to harm the woman, not her man. Pepa: Exactly. And not knowing you’re doing it but that it’s just happening. But I never thought, I’m about to leave Salt because I can’t deal with her. Salt: You lash out at the people you’re closest to because you know you can. I’m thinking, Why you beating me up? I’m feeling like I’m working so hard because I was the workhorse in the group and I’m feeling unappreciated and resented, but I don’t know where these feelings toward me are coming from. I couldn’t handle it on top of other issues like my bulimia, depression and self-esteem that I had never dealt with that began to mount up. I felt like my life was spiraling out of control and I had to remove myself from the chaos to be clear. Essence.com: What year was that? Pepa: The year we released our last album, Brand New (released in October of 1997). Salt: Yeah, Brand New was the thing that brought it to a head. It was a very pressurized situation. We were breaking up with Hurby (“Luv Bug” Azor), breaking up with management, record companies were switching on us, our album wasn’t properly promoted, so it was a culmination of everything. It made me say, ‘I want to be an individual and know who I am a part from this group that I’ve been in all these years.’ It was a really good thing for me to do because I got myself, my health, my family and my spirituality together. I just didn’t verbalize it right because I didn’t even know how or that it was a problem. All I knew was that I was in this pressure cooker and I wanted out. Unfortunately, I hurt some folks in the long run which I’ve apologized for many, many, many times. Essence.com: I hadn’t heard about your battle with bulimia. How long did you suffer with it? Salt: Honestly, I don’t even know how long. One time we were in Europe and Pepa came into my bathroom and asked, ‘Why is your toilet seat up?’ You remember that? Pepa: Yeah, I was like: ‘Do you have a man in here?’ Wow. {READ MORE}

What next?

0 representers:


Your Ad Here